The Powerball is one of the most popular lottery games in the USA, and is coming up to celebrating it’s 20th birthday in January 2012.
But there are some controversial changes scheduled to take place on it’s birthday, 15th January 2012.
Here’s a quick summary of the Powerball lottery changes:-
- The base jackpot will double from $20 Million to $40 Million
- 2nd Tier prizes (Match 5) will increase from $200,000 to $1 Million
- Lowest prize (Match Powerball only) increases from $3 to $4
- Jackpot odds will improve slightly as the Powerball switches from 1-39 to 1-35 (reducing odds from 1 in 195 Million to 1 in 175 Million)
- Here’s the painful one – Ticket price will double from $1 to $2
The increase to the Match 5 prizes is probably the best change here (the odds of 1 in 5 Million now win you $1 Million). The jackpot odds are still terrible of course, but are now in line with Mega Millions.
Increasing the Powerball only prize seems fairly pointless (an extra dollar..?).
Most controversial of all of course will be doubling the ticket price!
Do you think these changes are worth doubling the Powerball ticket costs? Will you continue the play Powerball?
Or maybe you didn’t play before, but think this is now a better deal than Mega Millions?
Let me know what you think below.